Sunday, May 5, 2013

Silica Rapids

I originally intended to walk from Whakapapa to Mangatepo and back for a day trip, but I changed my mind when I decided to head to Napier directly after my walk. I thought the Silica Rapids sounded like an interesting thing to see, and it was only about a 2hr return walk. So I headed up the road to go have a look. It was a little bit strange, because I only saw one other person the whole time I was walking, whereas the day before I'd see dozens of people on the track. Obviously just not as popular a walk. The rapids weren't really what I expected, but they were still worth having a look at. I thought the yellow green colour around them was a bit strange though. On my way back out I stopped to have another look at a small waterfall off to the right on the main road out from Whakapapa, Tawhai Falls. The last time I'd been there it had been pouring, so I never got a proper look. This time I managed to scramble over some rocks, to get a lot closer to the base of the falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment