Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sightseeing in Hastings

While I was in Hawkes Bay visiting my sister, there were a couple of places I wanted to visit. The Ahuriri estuary is in Napier, near Pandora, about a one hour circuit, slightly longer with the push chair. We got talking about healthy food, and my 5yr old nephew comes out with "Mummy you need to eat healthy food, so that when you feed baby he will be healthy too and won't get sick anymore." I offered her an apple but she wouldn't take it, and headed off. So I gave it to her 5yr old and said, "Here this is healthy food, go give it to Mummy," so he took off down the track calling out, "Mummy! You need to eat this apple!" Another day we went to the Te Ana and Tangoio Falls (about 20 mins apart on the same track, about 30 minutes north of Bayview). I dragged my sister to both places, which was nice, as our nephews got to see everything as well. We had to drag, lift and push the stroller to the base of Te Ana falls, a lady heading out when we arrived had warned us the second part was quite steep and muddy, so Kat didn't even attempt the second one, she just headed back to the car. It was good that she didn't coz the mud was worse than I expected and I nearly slipped over a couple of times. Plus there were fallen tree trunks and vines hanging down in places over the trail. When I arrived at the lookout I was quite disappointed that that was the closest I could actually get to the falls - you could only see them looking down at them about 80m away. At least the trip back to the car was downhill and therefore a lot faster. The other waterfall I got to see was on the drive between Taupo and Hastings. It was signposted as "Scenic lookout" or something like that, but when I slowed down for a closer look at the sign, I saw a tiny sign above it that said Waitonga Falls, which you wouldn't see if you were hurtling past at 100km/h. They were lovely, even though you could only see them from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment